Are you interested in health policy, advocacy, and research? The V-BID Center is committed to developing the next generation of public health professionals interested in balancing health care quality and costs and has several openings available for 2017 summer learning experiences.
The Center for Value-Based Insurance Design (V-BID) is a collaborative organization that occupies space in both the University of Michigan School of Public Health (SPH) and the University of Michigan Institute for Health Care Policy Innovation (IHPI). With a focus on research, development, and advocacy for innovative health benefit plans, the Center produces qualitative and quantitative research projects evaluating the concept of value-based insurance design, national and state policy recommendations, a monthly brief series, a monthly newsletter and a highly active website.
The V-BID Center staff includes medical and public health faculty, public policy analysts and public health graduate students and undergraduates. The Center also collaborates with a wide range of national research partners, health coalitions, and thought-leaders to advocate for better health outcomes across the health care system. Committed to better health outcomes for all Americans, the V-BID Center strives to provide accessible, valuable content to all of its constituents.
View the video library below to learn more about V-BID Center internships from the Center Director and student alumni:
Student participant goals: A V-BID experience will train students to shape and execute a strategy to share V-BID concepts across a variety of stakeholder groups at the local, state, and national level. The V-BID Center focuses on multiple health reform topics including: Medicaid/Medicare, employee benefit reform, consumer education initiatives, health care delivery systems, and state health insurance exchanges.
Projects generally include:
- Developing and refining knowledge of the United States health care system
- Receiving an introduction to value-based insurance design (V-BID) concepts and implementation
- Training on V-BID website utilization and analytics
- Assisting with V-BID social media strategy for Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- Assisting with supplemental V-BID health policy literature searches and projects
- Participating in relevant webinars & trainings on health care reform topics
- Monitoring federal and state regulatory developments regarding V-BID and related areas;
- Monitoring other news sources to track progress of V-BID in the media;
- Researching/writing policy briefs, releases, & memos to share academic and policy developments
- Assisting in effective coalition-building/communication with a professional network of colleagues
Additionally, the experience provides students the opportunity to bolster written and oral communication skills while gaining experience in leadership, project management, and team-building skills. Students will assist in the V-BID Center’s advocacy efforts and will work on projects that are relevant, timely, and appropriate to the Center’s efforts to promote the development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative health benefit designs balancing cost and quality.
To apply to this position, please submit a brief cover letter and resume outlining your experience to email@example.com. For questions, please contact 734-615-9635.